Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Forgotten Turnip

Some very dirty turnips from the market


Turnips really don't get a lot respect in the vegetable world. There aren't many recipes for them, they are rarely on menus and if they are in a dish they are never the main ingredient. I love turnips. Turnips have a mild sweet flavor and they get so tender that they practically melt your in mouth. I prefer to prepare them simply. Peel and thinly slice the turnips, saute in Earth Balance or oil until tender and lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes. You can also roast them in a 400 degree oven for about a half an hour.



Bianca of Vegan Crunk has quite a few turnip posts. If anyone has any turnip recipes, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE turnips! I just eat them steamed with a little vegan butter and black pepper. I've also heard of people making them the same way you would mashed potatoes, though I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeh, mashed turnips are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mashed turnips sound wonderful. I am going to try that as my next turnip dish!

    ReplyDelete