Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Quick and Easy Pantry Cooking Day Twelve: Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries


I love sweet potatoes and try to always keep them in stock. I know have blogged about sweet potatoes before and I am sure I will again-I really love them!!!

Oven fries are great cooked with just some salt, pepper and oil but they are even better when spiced up and made with sweet potatoes. Rachel Ray has a great recipe for Cajun oven fries. My recipe ends up changing a bit every time, depending on what spices I have. This is how I made them today.


Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
  • 4 sweet potatoes, washed well and dried
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sweet, hot or smoked paprika (I used the smoked today)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending how hot you want it-use less if you use hot paprika)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425. Cut sweet potatoes into wedges. Combine oil, paprika, cumin and cayenne then toss with potatoes. Spread single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.

variations: use another type of potato, add hot sauce to spice mixture (Rachel Ray does this), add a tablespoon or two of maple syrup for some sweetness.

1 comment:

  1. These look so good! I think I like the wedges more than the fries - yum!

    ReplyDelete