Monday, March 9, 2009

Quick and Easy Pantry Cooking Day Four: Lentil Salad



Beans are so versatile and healthy. There are practically endless types of beans and endless possibilities for preparing them. Beans have been a staple food throughout the world for thousands of years. Whenever someone says that they don't like beans-I always ask which one. How could someone not like all beans. Maybe I'll dedicate a month to beans! Being that I am not fond of meat substitutes, tofu, seitan and tempeh (shocking I know, a vegan that doesn't love all those things), I depend on beans for my main source of protein in a meal.

This lentil salad is so simple and you can vary what you add to it depending on what you have. I made a Mediterranean style salad but you could give it a more latino feel with cilantro, cumin and jalapenos or add whatever you like. I cooked the whole 1 lb bag of lentils and used half for this and the other half I set aside for a future dish.




Lentil Salad
1/2 bag (1/2 lb dry beans or 1 1/4 cup dry beans)
2 tomatoes chopped
handful parsley, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons olive oil
zest of one lemon
juice of half a lemon or about 2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

variations: add chopped kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, green onions

Cook lentils (no soaking required for lentils) in a large pot of water on medium low heat for 45-60 minutes until tender. Drain. Add all ingredients and mix. Serve warm or cold.


I wanted to make a quick and easy dessert last night so I found the decadent brownie recipe in The Garden of Vegan cookbook. It was so easy to make. But I was so disappointed in the result. It did not make brownies. Brownies are fudgy and rich, a cross between chocolate cake and fudge. This recipe made a chocolate cake. It was a good cake but when you want brownies, this was disappointing!

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying all of your pantry cooking posts. My pantry is way too full, but it usually stays that way because what I really love is fresh produce! I always have tons of flours and beans though, so it's fun for me to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diann! I love your blog especially the caramelized onion post!

    ReplyDelete